Dr. Ali Khamis Al Alawi is the Founder and Senior partner of Al Alawi & Co. He is a veteran in the legal industry in Oman with more than 37 years of experience.
Dr. Ali Khamis was the first Omani to hold the position of Head of the Land Registry Office in the Sultanate of Oman. He was appointed to this position in 1982 after completing his studies and continued his work for the government through 1986. During his tenure at the Ministry, Dr. Ali Khamis steered and headed drafting a number of Omani laws (including the Land Registry Law, the Usufruct Law and the Tenancy Law), which legislation remains in force in the Sultanate to date.
Given his experience working for the government and holding the position of Land Registrar of the Sultanate of Oman, Dr. Ali Khamis continues to maintain strong relationships with governmental authorities, particularly those administrations that supervise real estate activities (including the Oman Tourism Development Company S.A.O.C. or OMRAN, Ministry of Housing, Ministry of Tourism, and Ministry of Commerce and Industry).
In 1997, Dr. Ali Khamis became the first Omani national to be registered with the Supreme Court of the Sultanate of Oman as a lawyer; the second lawyer registered in the Appeal Court; and he was the first lawyer to plead before the State Security Court. Dr. Ali Khamis is licensed and qualified to appear before all courts in the Sultanate of Oman and has a rich experience appearing before the local courts.
Listed below are Dr. Ali Khamis’ qualifications to date:
- Former President and Member of the Board of Directors of Commercial Arbitration Centers of the GCC (1996) – Middle East
- Former Member of the Board of Directors of the Oman Chamber of Commerce & Industry (1994) – Sultanate of Oman
- Former Board Member of the Chamber of Commerce and Industry (1992 – 1998) – Sultanate of Oman
- Former President of the Reconciliation & Arbitration Committee of the Oman Chamber of Commerce & Industry (1992-1996) – Sultanate of Oman
- Counselor of International Justice for Judicial & Diplomatic Studies (2019) – Beirut, Lebanon.
- Recognized by international legal publications, such as Legal 500, IFLR1000 and Chambers, named a “Leading Lawyer – Highly Regarded” in Oman by IFLR1000 Rankings 2019 conducted by IFLR1000 global marketing campaign.
- Honorary Doctorate, The American Council of International Law, Arbitration & Human Rights (2018)
- Named a “Leading Lawyer – Highly Regarded” in Oman by IFLR1000 Rankings 2018 conducted by IFLR1000 global marketing campaign.
- Registered Member of Advocates & Mission in the Sultanate of Oman
- Former President and Honorary Member (Arbitrator) from the Arbitrator’s Panel of Commercial Arbitration Centers of the GCC (2012 – 2022)
- Founder and President of the Omani Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (2017 till present) – Sultanate of Oman
- Member of the Intellectual Property Pillar at the Council for Scientific Research (2017 till present) – Sultanate of Oman
- Resolution of International Disputes Adviser of International Justice Foundation for Judicial Studies and Diplomacy United Nations (UNICITRAL), 2016
- Associate Member of the International Union for the Protection of Intellectual Property, 2006
- Member of the International Bar Association (July 1997 till present)
- Active Member of the Advocates & Mission Committee of the Sultanate of Oman (1997 till present)
- Member of the International Trademark Association (1992 till present)
- Chairman of Arbitration and Conciliation Committee – Sultanate of Oman, 1994
- Member of Arbitration Centers – Cairo, Egypt and Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 1992
- Member and Co-Founder of the Board of the Arab Authority for Arbitration – Paris, France, 1992
- Member and Co-Founder of the Arab Management Society, 1991
- Founder and Partner of the Arab Organization for Industrial Property and Gulf Consultants for the Protection of Intellectual Property Rights, 1989
Dr. Ali Khamis holds a Post Graduate Studies and High Diploma in Intellectual Property – Jordan School, 1997. He also holds an International Arbitration and Investment Contracts Diploma from American Council Law, Arbitration & Human Rights (2019). He obtained his Bachelors in Sharia & Law at Al Azhar University, Cairo, Egypt in 1981.
Dr. Ali Khamis practice language are both English and Arabic.
Dr. Ali Khamis Al Alawi
Founder & Senior Partner
Phone: +968 24699761/ 2
Fax: + 968 24699763